Monday, January 16, 2012

Reflections & Musings: Be free to be yourself.


"To be nobody but yourself in a world 
which is doing its best day and night
to make you like everybody else 
means to fight the hardest battle
which any human being can fight
and never stop fighting."
-E.E. Cummings

In the spirit of Martin Luther King, Jr. Day, feel the freedom to be completely you in every way! Beyond the tangible physical boundaries that can be imposed upon us by others, there are also those limitations we place upon ourselves and, usually, those are often the most harmful to our human spirit. What I love teaching in yoga classes is that the light within you will only exist in this lifetime in the ways that you encourage it to shine — the arcs, the rays, the shadows, the warmth, and the subtleties — all of that is uniquely yours to exude! Be all of you and feel blessed that you have expansive space to be brilliant, a whole universe of potential that is limited only by your own imagination. 

From there, once you embrace the belief that you can truly be yourself in any circumstance or situation, whatever the internal or external elements, then it's up to us to help inspire that spirit for others! To be the forerunners for those who haven't yet found their way, for those who are perhaps a little too shy or a little bit scared, or for those who do not yet have the means to fight for themselves.

I'm honored that the non-profit Rewrite Beautiful has nominated me to be one of their Beautiful Girls of the Week. Rewrite Beautiful is a revolution to redefine beauty as an action that has nothing to do with the way one looks, but rather with the way one acts. "Beauty is found in your actions of Creativity, Kindness, and Strength displayed in your community. You can either go along with what everyone else thinks is beautiful, or you can be revolutionary and Rewrite Beautiful." Through art shows, Beautiful Action Clubs and street art, Rewrite Beautiful is helping to redefine a nation of young women and girls who focus on their gifts and talents rather than on their bodies. Their vision is to see each and every young woman in this world say, "I'm beautiful, because I know I am creative, kind and strong. I don't care what you think of my body, because I know I am beautiful in a way that can never be changed." By beginning this dialogue, Rewrite Beautiful is helping to lead a next generation of young women who will have conversations about what it means to be beautiful in completely new and inspiring ways.

And, being true to ourselves is not a decision that we make once in our lives, then we're done with... it's a process that we continually refine throughout our days. I'm grateful to everyone who's enabled me to stand where I am in the freedom to be myself now and I hope that my actions will inspire others, as E.E. Cummings said, to "fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight and never stop fighting"!



No comments:

Post a Comment