Saturday, January 21, 2012

Reflections & Musings: It's the little things in life that make me so happy.


Wondrous

O wondrous creatures,
by what strange miracle do you
so often not
smile?

-Hafiz


It's the little things in life that bring such delight to my heart. Truly, it's what I tell my beau all the time — I believe that it's the small things that you do, the things that require little to no thought, that genuinely reveal your character, because these are the simplest ways in which you are "being." There's no effort involved, no watching, nothing but you being you.

That's why it makes me so happy when I encounter objects or experiences where I realize that someone put in quite a bit of thought from the big idea all the way down to the details. I feel as though their love shines all the way through, such as when the inside lining of a very nice coat is a brilliant fuchsia rather than a simple gray, how the inner sole of my shoe has polka dots just because, or the way in which the bottom of a handmade Tibetan singing bowl is emblazoned with a Sanskrit word.

Though it hardly ever rains in San Diego, this morning actually provided an excellent opportunity to evoke a happy squeal. My beau and I were driving towards Del Mar, and I had flipped the windshield wipers on a fairly moderate speed. In the early hours, our brains as foggy as the atmosphere around us, we chatted here and there until I arrived at a red light. Sitting in silence, I watched the rain fall around us. Just as I was about to nudge my foot on the gas and move forward, I realized something:

"Wait a minute, did you see that?" I turned to my beau, excitedly. "Did my windshield wipers just stop when the car was stopped?"

"No," he paused, ever the pragmatic one between the two of us, "no, probably not."

"I think it did!" I exclaimed. "Let's find another red light!"

Eager to test my theory, I drove forward a bit more until we met the next red light. Just as we came to a stop, the windshield wipers did the same. Then, they slowed the pace at which they moved left and right. I looked at him, he looked at me, and we both yelped.

"You love your car so much right now, don't you?" he asked, a grin on his face.

"I love her! I love Black Beauty!!"

Then, I proceeded to bounce in my seat all the way to our destination.

Yesterday, while listening to a TED Talk about how beauty feels, Richard Seymour shared an anecdote about a watchmaker who engraved the inside back of a balance wheel — a part of the watch that no one would ever see. When asked why he did this, the watchmaker replied, "Because God can see it."

And that's the thing... our intentions come across louder than our words, resonate longer than the echo of what we might say, and reverberate with a greater energy than what our actions might actually create. I also find that there's a flip-side to everything, to every attribute, to every experience.

Just as much as I love the little nuances and details, and I appreciate how readily these elements can inspire immediate joy within me, I also tend to get lost in the nitty gritty and lose sight of the big picture. The other day, during my afternoon stroll by the beach, I felt a calming energy envelop me when I became aware that as long as I bring healthy and truthful intention to the bigger areas of my life, then the little details will align with that greater purpose and eventually work themselves out.

It's a good reminder to tell ourselves that everything will work itself out one way or another and nothing lasts forever. After all, the Dalai Lama XIV said, "If a problem is fixable, if a situation is such that you can do something about it, then there is no need to worry. If it's not fixable, then there is no help in worrying. There is no benefit in worrying whatsoever."

So, as the practice of yogic living tells us, let's try to find balance in everything. Whether big or small, as long as our hearts are open and thoughts are true, then there are plenty of reasons we can find to smile each and every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment