Monday, February 6, 2012

Inspirations: Because we all need it!


"It doesn't interest me what you do for a living. I want to know what you ache for, and if you dare to dream of meeting your heart's longing.

It doesn't interest me how old you are. I want to know if you will risk looking like a fool for love, for your dreams, for the adventure of being alive. ...

It doesn't interest me who you are, or how you came to be here. I want to know if you will stand in the center of the fire with me and not shrink back."
-Oriah Mountain Dreamer

When I first began to learn more about spirituality and to actively explore the ideas and philosophies of greater consciousness with a dedicated mind and heart, I found it incredibly frustrating that I couldn't find what I was looking for. At the time, I was simply seeking more information and hadn't even grasped the even bigger concepts things like enlightenment.

Here I was, open and ready to learn, yet all I could find in my seeking were a few scattered classes I didn't resonate with, groups I felt too self-conscious to join, and mentors unavailable or unattainable. The closest things I could find to any sort of place of faith was yoga class. In fact, I used to tell my friends that it was like going to "church," because in moving through the asanas guided by superb teachers, I began to open up parts of myself that felt like they were returning to a home within.

In retrospect, I believe that the "not-finding" was actually part of the journey—there had to be work on my end in order to demonstrate that I was committed to what I was about to pursue. Even so, I would've  appreciated a bit easier access to helpful thoughts and ideas and people to support me along my way.

My friends have always said that I'm the kind of person, when I get an idea in my head, I go after it fully with immediate action. It leads to one-of-a-kind experiences and opportunities to befriend individuals from all corners of the globe, but it can also be exhausting and daunting. I'd like to create a resource for others around me who are in a place similar to where I was, where I am now, or even where I'd like to move towards. By creating this virtual sangha (community), we can remind ourselves that though each of our paths are absolutely unique, they're still woven together in a beautiful universal map.

One of the things that I still seek daily is inspiration. I find it by going to the bookstore and flipping through design magazines where creativity bursts from the pages, by meeting people who've undergone unbelievable challenges to come through more brilliant than ever, by listening to podcasts and watching videos of innovative thinkers actively and ingeniously changing the world. 

The "Inspirations" element of my blog is designed to bring forth the feel-good factor, to remind us that we are all more phenomenal than we ever give ourselves credit for, and simply because, as E.E. Cummings said, "To be nobody but yourself in a world which is doing its best day and night to make you like everybody else means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight and never stop fighting."

And to start, check out this live story from The Moth with Aimee Mullins, a double-amputee who continues to inspire strong ideas of living beautifully.

As Aimee says, "May we all go big or go home!"

No comments:

Post a Comment