Saturday, April 28, 2012

Reflections & Musings: Why the name "Hawk and Lily"?

"Put your ear down close to your soul
and listen hard."
-Anne Sexton

People have asked me lately, "Why is your company called Hawk and Lily?" It's a good question! And, here's my response: 

A few years ago, I began to develop an idea of creating a company that would inspire a reconnection to the joy we are all born with — that "being happy just for the sake of being happy!" trait that we seem to lose as we grow up, a truth we forget as we face challenges in life, and an element of ourselves we often misplace as become who we think we are supposed to be.

As I was developing workshops and offerings to balance both inner and outer strength, I began to pair activities outdoors (like surfing and rock climbing) with inner experiences (such as yoga and meditation). I'm actually not sure what came first, whether it was the idea of bringing the "Hawk" and the "Lily" together, or whether they came about as I started offering these workshops. What I do know is that when those words came to the forefront of my mind, my heart stirred and I thought, "That's it!"

Simply put, Hawk and Lily represent the ethos of my company — the hawk symbolizes outer strength and a fiercely clear vision of truth, while the lily balances everything with the sweetness of the soul. Both are creations of nature, as I believe being out in the open beneath the wide sky with feet touching earth is imperative to a healthy overall lifestyle. It's okay to not want to get dirty, but it's important to breathe fresh air and soak up a bit of sun and simply stand in the space of something greater than ourselves. For me, every single time I see the ocean — and I have always lived near a body of water, so this ALL the time — it takes my breath away. I am humbled and I feel blessed to be able to witness such wonder that existed long before I did and will continue to exist long after I am gone.

After the name popped up in my head, I started researching the words "hawk" and "lily" a bit more. To my surprise and perhaps, because my higher consciousness was involved in the process, the symbology of these two items were exactly what I hoped this endeavor would be about:

Hawk
  • Represents awareness, perspective, insight, truth, visionary power, guardianship, strength, initiative, decisiveness, creativity, messenger, caution, leadership.
  • In Native American interpretations, the Hawk brings messages of change and uncovers one's deepest wisdom.

Lily
  • Represents purity, truth, and the goddess.
  • Depending on the culture, Lily can be interpreted as spirituality, sexuality, devotion, sweetness, and royalty.
One of the most important elements of Hawk and Lily is the inspiration that I get from the people in my life who are absolutely passionate about what they do. Be it surfing or climbing or art or music, their love for what delights their hearts helped me to rediscover what it is that I love in my life and in the world. 

When I developed my eating disorder 17, it took over everything for over a decade, so that I forgot what I actually enjoyed in life. There was no happiness. There was no bliss. There was only struggling and suffering. I didn't know if I had a favorite color, if I liked the way a fabric felt on my skin, if I enjoyed being around one environment or person. I was completely not present and lost in the darkness of my mind.

After witnessing and experiencing so much pain in recovery with all the courageous women and men who were also fighting their own battles, then shifting to becoming a "survivor" who led support groups and worked with individuals in the process of healing, I realized one vital element of life was missing: joy. I wanted to change that, because I have always believed there is SO MUCH MORE to living than hurt and struggling. 

In yoga, we learn that we all have a bliss body, an anandamayakosha. And, if we can get our brains to wrap around the idea that it is always there, it will never disappear, and it will be with us until we release our last exhale on this planet, then there is comfort in understanding that whatever crap happens around us, to us, or even within us, we will always know how to find our way home to bliss.

That's what Hawk and Lily is about. This company is here to inspire and support each and every individual in their discovery of their unique anandamayakosha, because happiness only grows when shared. 

I believe that every person is meant to be as happy and as healthy as possible for this experience of life. May you and all of those you touch throughout your days love life and thrive!

Hawk and Lily. Be strong, wild and joyful.

No comments:

Post a Comment