Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Reflections & Musings: Do you believe in psychics?

"Faith is a passionate intuition." 
-William Wordsworth

The other day, my beau and I decide to go for lunch in a little Italian restaurant in Encinitas. It was late afternoon, so the only people in the restaurant were the cooks, the server, and a father and son in the back room chewing on spaghetti.

"You look familiar," the bubbly brunette waitress said to me.

"Do you take yoga classes here in Enci?" I asked. "I teach at the Soul of Yoga."

"No, that's not it..." she thought for a moment. "Have you been to Mozy's Cafe in Leucadia? I work there, too." 

I nodded, we smiled, and after she took our order, she said, "Y'know, there's a psychic in the back if you want to get a reading. He just did mine and it tripped me out! I mean, he writes something down on a piece of paper before he even starts talking to you, then balls it up and tells you to hold onto it. He reads your fortune, and at the end, tells you to unwrap the piece of paper. It's trippy! He had written down exactly my age and my boyfriend's age! And, I'm 21 — he's 38, so it's not like that's a likely guess."

My beau, ever the skeptical one when it comes to the "woo," as we call it, looked at her quizzically. I turned to him after she left. "Let's do it. You should go do it! It's only $20. C'mon." 

"Why me?!" he asked, reluctant yet slightly interested. "Because I know people who can do this any time I want. It's rare that you come across anyone like this. C'mon" 

After a bit of goading, he said, "Allll right," and followed me to the back room. The son, who had gorgeous blue eyes and longish hair that loosely covered his gaze, looked a little bored. The father, an Indian man with wide eyes and dark wavy hair got up from his seat and scooted over to the next booth, making room for us. 

As the waitress said, he immediately wrote something down on a piece of paper against his black leather Franklin Covey-esque organizer. He ripped it off the rest of the sheet, blew on it, then handed it to my beau and told him to hold it in his right hand. 

Throughout the next ten minutes, this complete stranger said an array of on-target things that he could not possibly have known. I could tell that my beau was startled, and letting it sink in, and when he was all through, the fortune teller told my beau to think of his wish and believe that it would come true. Then, he asked him to unwrap the ball of paper.

In it, was my age, my beau's age, and a random number that he had asked my beau to select — all were accurate. 

We went back to our lunch, walking on ground that now seemed slightly uneven for our shifted perspective. I was intrigued, so after we munched on a bit of chicken parmigiana, I told my beau I wanted to do it, too. 

Back we went, and this time, the son — quiet and polite — barely looked up from his pasta. His father scooted into a booth with me and my beau sat to my left, curious to hear what I would be told. As he did before, the fortune teller wrote something on a ball of paper, and asked me to hold it in my left hand. He then proceeded to tell me the years of my life that were challenging, what it was like growing up, what people think of me now. He predicted what the years ahead would bring, asked me what I wanted most in my life, and towards the end, even gave me the age range I was expected to live until. My beau got a hard number, I got a span of years, and I assume this was because he must have known that had he given me an exact year, I would've fixated on it for the rest of my life. 

At the end, he asked me what to pick a flower. 

"Lily?" I asked, because of course, Hawk and Lily. He asked me to pick another. "Peony?"

"What's your favorite number?" he asked in an accented tone. 

"I don't really have one," I scrunched my eyebrows in response. "Um, okay, I'll pick 8?" thinking in my head that it was a good default number since that's what Chinese people always say is lucky. 

"And you want good luck?" he affirmed.

"Yeah!"

"Blow on the ball of paper in your left hand," I did as I was told. "Now, think of your greatest wish, and I will pray for it, too." 

He then nodded to indicate I could unwrap the scrap of paper and as I did, my mouth dropped open.

On it, he had written: 

Lily
8
Good luck

"No way?!" I exclaimed. "No way!!" 

I showed my beau and shook my head in amazement. My eyes were as big as this newly expanded sense of unexplainable coincidence and fifteen minutes later, I was still in an amused sort of shock.

Fortune telling is a large part of Chinese culture — my parents and relatives were all highly superstitious growing up. There's a sense that if you do wrong, if you don't appease the gods, they'll invoke punishment upon you. 

Now, my idea of fortune telling has shifted into one where I believe we all have a sense of intuition, and it's a matter of how much we want to open a greater awareness of what's real, what's perceived and what's right for us. It's both empowering and a little frightening to know how much you can sense what's happening and where it will lead. I used to put so much stock in what other people told me for how my life was going to turn out. Over the years, I've experienced many "psychics" who've all offered different slants on what's to come. It's important to remember that the words are coming from someone else, who has their own life story and interpretations of what's good/right/bad/wrong. And, that though there are many philosophies which believe we are born with a certain destiny, this is a seed within us that needs our will to manifest and grow. We have the power to choose to change. When we remember that, regardless of what anyone else says, it's an amazing gift to be respectful of.

Years ago in LA, I was at a party at a bar and there was someone reading palms for free. She explained to me that your non-dominant hand is how you were innately born, much like the Prakruti we learn about in Ayurveda, while your dominant hand is how you actually live your life, similar to the Vikruti. She thought it was interesting that I was born with a very bohemian and free-flowing type of nature, but that that the way I lived my life — the way I feel I was forced to become because of the environment I grew up in — was one of rigid structure, rules, lines not meant to be crossed.

I'm happy to say that I'm returning to my own Prakruti and loving it. It's an ever-evolving process, one where you start to feel more comfortable in your own skin. And the less we can look externally for validation, then the more we start to feel it sprout up from our own hearts, minds, and souls. I love my life the way it is now, and all the opportunities that are ahead. I've worked damn hard to get to this point on many levels, and while I can't predict what the future will hold, it's always nice to hear that things will be sunny from here on out.

Our will is more powerful than we know. Honor your will and live true.

***

Have you had experiences with psychics before? Have they told you things that became self-fulfilling prophecies, because they planted a seed in your mind that you allowed to grow? What seeds can you plant for yourself, then water and nourish to see things flourish?

No comments:

Post a Comment