Friday, August 17, 2012

Reflections & Musings: Can we be okay with the mundane?

"Accept — then act. 
Whatever the present moment contains, accept it as if you had chosen it.
Always work with it, not against it... 
This will miraculously transform your whole life."
-Eckhart Tolle

The other day, as I was driving to teach a Restorative Yoga class, it finally dawned on me — I need to find my contentment when things are IMPERFECT rather than waiting for the moment when everything is exactly right. Because right now, things aren't perfect. They don't look the way that I'd like them to look or feel the way I'd like them to feel, and so here I am, not stuck, but being present in the best way that I can.

I don't think anything will ever be perfect, except how I perceive things based on my response and viewpoint to what's actually happening. For example, at the moment my intimate relationship is in a state of review and I don't believe this is a bad thing. I believe it's actually the best thing that could happen, because I have never before felt more primed to own my power and trust my instincts and wholly comprehend that I am worthy of genuine, uplifting and supportive love. I'm open to seeing the ways in which I should shift my understandings to embrace a greater good that benefits everyone involved, not just me. I'm open to letting someone else own what's theirs and not taking responsibility for it, or apologizing as though it were my fault. I'm open to being vulnerable and not being in control of every single moment, action or experience, in terms of needing to dictate how things unfold. 

A private yoga & Reiki client of mine said to me the other day, "Your relationship with your partner is the one that will bring you closest to God." 

Absolutely. My relationship has humbled me and brought me to a point where I see that the Universe is indeed supporting my growth and evolution. It's funny, because people who haven't seen me in awhile keep saying, "You look amazing." or "Whatever it is that you're doing, you should keep doing it, because you look more beautiful than ever." And I tilt my head to the side in response, brows furrowed, wondering how that's even possible.

Inside, I feel turmoil, frustration, anger, annoyance, impatience. But, I think that what's actually happening is that I'm feeling the whole gamut of the human experience, so that I can choose how I want to be and breathe and live and love. I am building faith, letting go, surrendering. 

I like the dramatic. As much as I don't want to admit it, I'm a writer and these bits of action in a storyline make for intriguing reading. Yet, I'm finding many starts and stops to penning my book, because what I'm also seeing is that I don't want to keep dwelling on the huge pitfalls and wounds of the past. Rather, I actively want to seek the joy in the present to grow a pleasant future. 

My business coach says that the mundane is good. He suggests we've become totally skewed in thinking everything has to be substantial in our lives to mean anything, that we're seeking the huge ups and downs to give our lives meaning instead of understanding that it's the everyday normal that's healthy. Instead of looking for that next exciting moment to Instagram or Facebook status update, proving on a superficial level  that we're worthy of being remembered, can we be okay with just being ourselves? 

Washing the dishes. Folding the laundry. Reading a book. Taking the car to get an oil change. Fixing a flat tire.

Sitting. Still.

I don't have it all figured out. What I do have are these little moments that happen more and more frequently, where I realize that nothing's really that big of a deal. That there are so many elements that are constantly intertwining that to take things personally is a waste of a time. There truly is a perfect order to the Universe — even if I don't get it right here and now. And, especially when things aren't going right, that's when the Universe is doing her beautiful magic. 

I accept what's happening. I may not like it, but I don't think that was part of the deal. By accepting it, I've taken one step closer to seeing the opportunity in every experience to grow and move one step closer towards peace. And, by letting go, I am learning how to have more fun being me, in this life, mundane or otherwise.

Om shanti shanti shanti. 


No comments:

Post a Comment