Monday, April 15, 2013

Day 7, 8, 9 Letting LOose Challenge: A weekend of freewheeling!

"Necessity may be the mother of invention,
but play is certainly the father."
~Roger von Oech

Oy! I've been a lil' behind in updating my 21-Day Let LOose Challenge, because I've been traveling for work. Just returned from the Sat Nam Fest, where I took a wonderful kundalini yoga class with Gurmukh and met plenty of musical peeps, including hugging Snatam Kaur and having breakfast with GuruGanesha

But, I've still been letting loose and having fun! Like on Saturday, practicing yoga in a big ol' tent in Joshua Tree with the winds blowing like crazy all around us. The part where I let loose? After savasana, Gurmukh told us to get up and start dancing to Bhanghan beats. Then, she had us running around the whole tent, pausing to create little pods of new friends to groove with, then doing it again and again. 

As I was driving to JTree, I started singing pop songs and conscious chanting at the top of my lungs! Srikala is an amazing artist for this — I interviewed him recently and this young soul blends hip hop, reggae, and mantra into phenomenal songs. At first, I was shy about someone else seeing me grooving in the driver's seat. Then, I thought, "Who cares? They don't know me! I'm not living for them — I'm living for me!" and just kept right on dancing with my foot on the gas.

The entire time I was driving, I kept thinking about possibly getting a tattoo of the Sanskrit name I was offered upon graduating from my intensive yoga teacher training program. All I need is to find if there are different font styles, but having Parvati on my wrist will remind me not only of who I would like to become, but who I already am, as others currently see me. I'm so hard on myself all the time, that when people tell me how they perceive my strengths and light, it's a good reminder of embracing my wonder rather than getting lost in my perceived personal flaws. Most importantly, she is WOMAN. She is passion and unconditional love, she is the darkness of Kali and the warrior of Durga. She is the mother of Ganesha and the wife of Shiva. She is... amazing. So, I booked an appointment! 

I think it's going to be good for me to remember not to take my body so seriously. To remember that it is a costume, that it's on loan in this way for a little while before it eventually returns to the earth. And, perhaps if I can appreciate it wholly and enjoy a healthy relationship with it rather than feel at extreme odds with it, especially by having a tattoo on it, then it would lend to even greater healing of my psyche. A friend told me that the process, the act of being tattooed, is transformative. (And, that it's addictive.)

This past weekend, I saw a woman who was in her late 40s and embodies the energy that I hope to have at that age. She was relaxed in her skin, naturally attractive, and exuded a sexiness that was undeniably alluring. She seemed to be absolutely comfortable with who she was, where she wasn't working against herself, but flowing right along with it.  And, it was lovely.

On to more adventures! 

No comments:

Post a Comment