Sunday, June 23, 2013

Beautiful poetry.

"The only problem
with Haiku is that you just
get started and then"
~Roger McGough

I didn't used to understand poetry, until I realized there is great vulnerability in it, that one must be fully present in order to truly comprehend what is unfolding. I believe it takes courage to read poetry. I came across the book, Love Poems From God: Twelve Sacred Voices from the East and West by Daniel Ladinsky, which is perhaps one of the most favorite things I own for it reveals to me... Spirit. 

Part of this is the fact that these ancient voices from almost the beginning of time have shared the same struggles, questions, and exploits as I've increasingly become familiar with, well, it gives me a sense of reassurance. I'm not alone, nor am I strange or unwell. It also encourages me to feel like God (whatever one's concept of this might be) is closer than ever when reading through these lovely poems from such diverse, authentic and unified voices. Just having this book with me gives me comfort, as it also does when I read through it before bed. 

A friend of mine asked about a poem I had posted awhile back and in looking for it, I realized once again how much these wise words offer solace. So, I thought I'd share a few of them here with you just in case you're seeking a bit of soothing for your soul as well.

From St. Catherine of Siena...
Said to have been profoundly interested in every human being that ever came before her, she devoted herself to relieving the mental and emotional suffering of the hundreds who sought her out; her words and her touch bestowed a soothing grace. "Strange," she once said, "that so much suffering is caused because of the misunderstanding of God's true nature. God's heart is more gentle than the Virgin's first kiss upon the Christ. And God's forgiveness to all, to any thought or act, is more certain than our own being." She lived from 1347-1380 in Italy.

Give The Heart More Strength

Herbs can help the body and give
the heart more strength
to love.

When my sight became clearer,
I could see auras around different foods,

and I now know—should I say this?—
that everything can sing.

The songs of fruits and grains will calm,
why not put them into yourself,
a new language you
will learn.

And just touching life's requirements 
close to their source
will add grace to your movements.

More generous eyes we need.
The songs of light
will help
you.


Your Hair, Your Face

What is it
you want to change?
Your hair, your face, your body?
Why?

For God is 
in love with all those things
and He might weep
when they are
gone.


This Place of Abundance

We know nothing until we know everything.

I have no object to defend
for all is of equal value
to me.

I cannot lose anything in this 
place of abundance
I found.

If something my heart cherishes
is taken away,

I just say, "Lord, what
happened?"

And a hundred more appear.


From Tukaram...
The most influential figure in developing Marathi literature in India, Tukaram attained the same spiritual heights as Rumi, Hafix, and Kabir. 

Becoming Whole

The woman 
whose speech and actions are the same—
her feet become worthy of 
worship.

Keeping our word is the alchemy to become free
and whole.

Try and make amends for any broken hearts
or broken promises;

if you cannot do so in form
than prayer can heal a debt with the light you
can send,

and even a man can become
this precious
gold.


My Lucky Rock

I said to a squirrel, "What is that you are carrying?"
and he said,

"It is my lucky rock; isn't it pretty?"
I held it and said, "Indeed."

I said to God,

"What is this earth?'

And He said, "It is my lucky rock;
isn't it wondrous?"

Yes, indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment